Thursday, January 22, 2009

Maturation.

Today I hit a milestone of sorts. I attended "maturation" with Jake. Maturation is what they call sex education in Utah. Jake was dreading attending, especially since Joseph was in New York, so I was the only parent available. I've been very open with all three kids about sex from the get-go, so I don't think he learned anything new. In fact, the whole presentation was extremely mild.

Basically they told boys to shower daily, wear deodorant and brush their teeth twice a day. They did throw in a few comments about the changes their bodies would be going through, but mostly they told the kids to ask their parents about anything they were curious about. I just can't believe we have a child that is getting ready to enter puberty.

Let the roller coaster ride begin!

4 comments:

Betsy said...

Um. Not my little jakey. This is not possible.

Betsy said...

Also, when did they start calling it "maturation?" I didn't even know that was a word.

Suzy said...

I ditto Betsy's comment...when did they start calling it that?

Jen said...

I think it's a "Utah" thing. It wouldn't be proper to use the term "SEX education". It just might encourage them to go out and have sex, right?