Wednesday, July 22, 2009

R-O-D-E-O

On Monday night we headed up to Ogden for the annual Pioneer Days Rodeo.

I have not always been a fan of the rodeo. It's VERY hot. It involves a lot of dirt, stinky animals and sweaty people. This was our 3rd trip to the Ogden rodeo. I reluctantly agreed to go this year mainly because the kids really wanted to go & Suzy really put the pressure on. And I must admit, I really had a blast this time! I know, it's amazing.

Going to the rodeo is like stepping into another world. It's a world I was never a part of and now I find it facinating.

Before we left, we made sure we all had hats and umbrellas and suncreen to protect us from the scorching sun. Emma fully embraced her cowgirl persona:

When we got to the rodeo, it was hot, but not scorching. I was so happy!
We started our evening off with some good old-fashioned rodeo junk food. Foot-long corndogs, curly fries, navajo tacos and snowcones. Suzy looks so happy in this picture because she's finally eating the curly fries she'd been talking about all day.
Jacob is not really enjoying the heat. Of course you'll notice he is shaded by grandma & grandpa's umbrella and he's eating a snowcone. How rough can it be?

The rodeo started off with a bunch of skydivers. Very cool and patriotic.


Sophie, Allie & Emma were in heaven when they got to meet all the rodeo queens. Emma & Sophie actually asked each one for an autograph. Emma asked me how she could become a rodeo queen and I told her she had been born into the wrong family for that. Sorry sweetie!

Some very "rodeo-looking" shots:


Allie, Emma & Sophie. Take note of our awesome front-row seats. Good job Suzy.

This shot reminds me of Friday Night Lights.


More rodeo junk food. Over-priced churros that were hard as a rock.




Emma with the Rodeo Clown. He was really funny.

The highlight of the night was definitely the bull-riding. It's crazy to see it in person. It's terrifying actually. Take a look:
The night ended with some motorcycle stunt riders.
They did stuff like this:

It's better to see it like this though:


We didn't get home until 1 a.m. and we were all exhausted the next day, but I'm pretty sure we'll be going next year.

3 comments:

Cindi said...

You are such a city girl!!!! But by the end it sounded like you actually enjoyed the rodeo. :o)

Suzy said...

I can't believe you are already looking forward to next year! I knew you would start liking the rodeo one of these years :)

Lindsay said...

Wow! This post really makes me want to go to a rodeo. How fun! Also, you should have Emma talk to my sister-in-law that happens to live just down the street from your parents. She was Ms. Rodeo Washington when she was younger. Crazy, huh? She has some great stories. Hope you guys are well.